Are you asking yourself if a domain name for your website is really that important? Should you buy a domain name of your own and personalize it or should you simply have a free one?
If you are building your own website and/or an online business it is very important to appear as professional as possible, so from my point of view you should definitely consider having your own domain name. There are many advantages to investing in this area and there can be limitations if you don’t.
Here I want to talk to you about these benefits and offer you some clarity into domain names and their importance. So, if you are building your own online business and this is an area you are not to sure on, keep reading.
Why I Recommend You Purchase Your Own Domain
If you go down the path of not investing in your own domain name as you develop your business you will have a lot to face in the way of limitations.
Your own domain will offer so much in the way of integrity, trust and plausibility as opposed to taking the free options. People will tend to take you a lot more seriously however, if you do decide to stay with a free domain, it can really stick out like a sore thumb as well.
Let me offer you an example.
Let’s assume you are looking for something online and are trying to dig out information on a Playstation Game! This is from the top of my head, so forgive me 🙂
So, you are browsing the internet and you are looking for a product and you come across a website or two offering you what you need to know. Tell me what you think!
- One site has a domain name as follows playstationgames.com
- Another has a domain name of playstationgames.siterubix.freeinternet.com
I know which website will take my priority, do you?
Straight away with your own domain name it looks more professional and tidy despite the niche you are in. For this reason alone you should consider your own domain name. There are more points though which I will be covering here.
The Benefits Of Your Own Domain Name
There are a few benefits to having your own domain and it will make things a lot easier for you as you progress with your website or blog.
- Integrity, Trust & Professionalism – As already mentioned, first impressions really do count online. You need to remember there is a lot of competition out there (in all niches) and you need to be ready to stand out above the rest. Look the part and make sure you have your own domain name in place.
- Easier To Remember – This sounds like a silly reason to buy your own domain name and you could equally argue that if people cannot remember something, it is their problem. Believe me, when it comes to domain names they are like telephone numbers. You think you can remember one, but when you come to pick up and dial the mind goes a blank. Been there? Choosing your own domain allows you to keep things short and to the point and makes things easier for people to remember.
- Use Of Your Own Custom Email Address – This is a very important one and again it comes down to professionalism. If you were contacting a website owner and their email address was firstname.lastname@example.org then it looks far more professional than for example a gmail, yahoo or outlook email address. Do you agree?
- A Domain Name Grows In Value – If you have your own domain name and work hard to build your business on it, the value of your website will increase in value. You own it, it is yours and if you ever choose to sell it you can make a nice amount of money. If all of your work is on a free domain you do not own it and do not have the benefit of capitalizing later on should you wish to.
- It Will Lead To Better Rankings – Search Engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing tend to rank websites much better that are on their own domain. This is not to say you cannot get rankings on a free domain as you most certainly can but as a rule, purchased domain names tend to be taken more seriously.
- You Can Create Your Own Brand and Authority – Having your own domain allows you to move forward and develop your own brand and authority within your internet space. With this people will tend to recognize you and your brand by simply knowing the domain name. Take Facebook Or Amazon for example. Everyone knows these even if they do not use them (unless you live under a rock).
- You Own And Control The Website & Its Content – On your own domain you own the space on the internet. It also allows you to be creative on your website and you are not limited to the steps you can take in order to be successful. You have full control of development and the direction in which you wish to go.
As you can see, there are many reasons to take buying your own domain name seriously, but I want to make you aware of something here.
You Can Always START On A Free Domain
A situation I see all too often is people jumping in and buying a domain name only to find they are not completely happy with it and start thinking about changing it later. It is much better to start off on a free domain, find your feet and get a clear vision of where it is you want to go, then transfer your work onto your own domain when you are ready. Of course it is better to do this earlier rather than later.
Just be aware that once you purchase a domain name you cannot actually change that name. If you are not happy with it, you will have to purchase another domain name and start the process of moving everything across to it. If you start off on a free domain it alleviates this issue. Something to be aware of.
Important Things To Consider
There are many important areas to look at before you go jumping in and buying a domain name. If you read my post on How To Find A Domain Name For A Website, you will find lots of information here to help you.
It is always better to buy a domain name armed with some knowledge. It will save you a lot of time later on.
What About Hosting?
Once you have purchased your domain name of course you should be thinking about a good hosting package. There are places where you can go and get the domain name, hosting, website builder tools and support all as a package and if you are starting out I recommend you look into this. If you have the support at least you can get the assistance if you need it.
Hosting is another subject all together but I will cover it in another section.
A good all in one package that I found extremely robust and reliable is from the Wealthy Affiliate University. Here, and for a small monthly free you can get access to all of the training and tools, website hosting and support, website builder and a place to purchase domain names. I personally felt this was the best path to go down as very often when you are trying to mix and match and play around with Domain Name Servers (DNS), it can be a headache if you are starting out. Try to keep things simple from the start is my opinion on this.
I hope you can understand from this information I have offered you just how important your own domain name can prove to be. It is completely fine to start off with a free option until you find your way and you know where you want to go. Purchasing your own internet space from there is crucial as it really will show you are a serious player and you mean business.
If you choose to stay on a free domain I guess that is fine too but believe me, you will see a lot more success if you invest a few bucks for your own domain name!
My Final Advice
Of course, your domain name is only one segment of being successful online and there is a lot of learning and putting things into practice to be undertaken before success follows.
If you keep things simple from the start and get an all in one package then you will find things a lot easier. Do not complicate things that do not need to be complicated. As my tutor told me, ‘Keep It Simple Stupid!!’ (KISS)
If you want to see where I studied to be successful online then come and let me know. Also, you will get a free website builder, free domain and hosting for starters with some great tuition to get you on the road.
Of course and as always, if you have any questions and/or thoughts on domain names or anything related just reach out to me in the comments below. I will get back to you as soon as!